RSS Feed

Another day with HOPE on Education!

Posted by Badabeat


I have heard it said times without number that humans are more or less animals of hope and indeed hope is always a sell-out on us.

I bought my own share of hope a few years back when I believe the situation of higher education in Nigeria will change for the better. Afterall, through my university days, I was always regaled by lecturers narrating how things were better in their own days which was also worse than the days of their predecessors; thats if you can call a hall built for 150, now sitting 500 when it used to sit 300 students an improvement, Na wa O!

Anyway, my brand of hope was wishing that a Nigerian university will be listed on the top 50 universities in the world, but alas, we were not even in the first 100 and I doubt if we make it to the first 200; pity, pity, pity.

Maybe, I should do a refund issue on this hope. Hope, uhmmmm, always reminds of a recent story one of my exchange students told me after returning from their program in the US.

He had visited one of the colleges in Los Angeles to look at a postgraduate option; of course, they gave him a book indexing all the universities and colleges they will accept their graduates and Lo & behold! his perceived prestigious private university in Nigeria was not even listed there.

Well, enough yarn...see this on Harvard blasting the No 1 spot for 5 years going: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en

...Ya' adua, pls do something aside from the Rule of Law.PLEASE!!!


0 comments: